This is the third loaf I’ve baked in my short baking trajectory and I can say that it’s the most delicious one I’ve made so far. It doesn’t even matter that it’s gluten free because you can’t even tell. The flavors of the pistachio and cardamom are so present that they are just a joy to savior. I’m glad I tasted the original loaf from Ovenly and for Mirella Cheeseman‘s blog post on her interpretation. You can find it here.
I’m pretty new to baking so if this came out delicious I’m sure you can make it as well. Assuming you are new to this just like me. Feel free to increase the amount of sugar if you like your loafs a bit sweeter. I tried to decrease it as much as possible while maintaining some sweetness. Let me know if you make it and how it turned out!
- Loaf Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour – Bob's Red Mill
- 1 Cup Pistachio Meal – (198g) Roasted and unsalted.
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 120 grams Sugar Not too sweet for my taste.
- 170 grams Softened Unsalted Butter – 1.5 Sticks
- 2 Normal Lemons – Used for Zest
- 3 Large Eggs – At room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream – I used full fat and at room temp
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt – I used "Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt" aka not as salty.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F | 177°C
- Grease loaf pan with butter and line with parchment paper. Grease again.
- Add to bowl: Gluten Free flour, Pistachio Meal, Cardamom, Baking Powder, Xanthan Guam, and Salt. Set aside.
- Second bowl add: Sugar, lemon zest and softened butter. Mix well.
- Second bowl add: 3 Eggs and mix well.
- Second bowl add: Sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix
- Add bowl with the dry ingredients to the bowl with wet ingredients and mix very well.
- Pour into the loaf pan. Shake from sided to side to distribute the mix evenly. Pound flat on surface to settle as well.
- Place on the top rack of the pre-heated oven and bake for around 60min. It's useful to confirm the temperature of your oven. I have a thermometer I bought for this.
- Take out and check with a toothpick or slim knife. If no solids stick to it then it's done.
- Let it cool for 15min in the loaf pan.
- Leave whole and slice only what you will consume. I think it remains fresher longer.